July 9, 2012

Summer Tomato Sandwiches

I was never a tomato person growing up.  I hated them and anything made with them (including ketchup, spaghetti sauce, tomato soup...).  But somewhere along the road I discovered that I actually kind of like them--especially when they're in season.  Today my husband got to come home from work for lunch.  I told him I was making a tomato sandwich and asked if he wanted one too.  He said that leftover lasagna was really calling to him.  So I made myself a sandwich and went on with life.  A few minutes later I noticed that he had cleaned off his lasagna and was eyeing my sandwich.  I offered him a bite.  He put it back on my plate, and before I could take two more bites, he said, "Are you going to finish that?"  Um, yes.  Yes, I was planning on finishing it, but since it was apparently so irresistable, I told him he could have it and made myself another sandwich.  That is the power of a tomato sandwich.  Okay, okay, this is not really a recipe.  It's more of an idea for something delicious that makes you feel all summery when you eat it.  But here you go.  Enjoy.

Image Source
Summer Tomato Sandwiches
(*Yields 2 sandwiches, so you have an extra handy in case someone wants a "bite" of yours.  Just kidding, sweetie.  I love you.)


4 slices hearty bread
1 slicing tomato
2 Tbsp mayo
Salt and pepper to taste
Spinach leaves

1. Toast your bread and slice your tomato
2. Spread each slice with mayo, then top one slice with tomato slices.  If you get a tomato big enough, you only need one thick juicy slice, which helps your sandwich stay together better.
3. Sprinkle on some salt and pepper, then top it with spinach leaves.  Finish it off with the second slice of bread.
4. Hello tomato.  Let's be friends.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...