This is a total comfort food for me. I would claim credit for this recipe, but in reality I pretty much stole it from my sister. It's not just your everyday cream of mushroom soup on noodles. It's actually extremely flavorful. Give it a shot if you're feeling adventurous.
10 oz wide egg noodles
1/2 lb ground beef (You can always use more, but that also means that your meal will cost more)
1/4 onion, diced
1/2 bell pepper, julienned (Orange is my favorite, but green or red work well too. Save time by cutting up the whole bell pepper and freezing the other half for next time you make this recipe.)
1 can mushroom pieces
1 can cream of mushroom soup
1/2 cup sour cream
1-2 tsp lemon juice (more if you want more of a kick)
1/2 tsp salt
1/2 tsp pepper
1. Bring a large pot of water to a boil. Cook egg noodles according to package directions. Use the time waiting for the water to boil to chop up your vegetables. If you start the sauce at roughly the same time you put the water on to boil, they will be done at about the same time.
2. Meanwhile, heat a skillet over medium heat. Brown ground beef in skillet with peppers and onion. The juices from the meat will saute the peppers and onion. Drain excess drippings.
3. Add mushrooms, cream of mushroom soup, our cream, lemon juice, salt, and pepper to meat mixture and reduce heat to low. Simmer covered, stirring occasionally until noodles are finished cooking (approximately 5-10 minutes more).
4. Drain noodles and top with sauce.
5. Eat and taste the deliciousness.