(adapted from the Better Homes and Gardens New Cookbook)
1 1/2 cups flour
1 tsp cinnamon
1/2 tsp baking soda
1/2 tsp salt
1/4 tsp baking powder
rounded 1/4 tsp nutmeg
1 egg, beaten
1 cup sugar
1 cup finely shredded, unpeeled zucchini (or about 1 medium-sized zucchini)
1/4 cup oil
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Grease a loaf pan and set it aside.
2. In a large mixing bowl, combine flour, cinnamon, baking soda, salt, baking powder, and nutmeg. Make a well in the center.
3. In a medium-sized mixing bowl, combine egg, sugar, zucchini, and oil. Pour the entire zucchini mixture at once into the well you made in the flour mixture. Stir until just moistened. It will be lumpy, and that's a good thing. Overstirring will actually lessen the quality of the finished bread.
4. Pour batter into prepared loaf pan and bake for 45-50 minutes or until a toothpick comes out clean from the center of the loaf.
5. Cool 10 minutes in pan, then remove from pan and let cool completely on wire racks. For best results, wrap it up and store overnight before slicing--that is, if you can resist the temptation to eat it right then and there, which I cannot.
6. Eat loaf. Go to store. Buy more zucchini.