5-6 russet potatoes (or try it with red potatoes)
2 large sweet potatoes
2 Tbsp butter
1/2 large onion, minced
2 tsp sugar
2 Tbsp butter, divided into two equal parts
1/2 cup milk, divided into two equal parts
2 tsp salt, divided into two equal parts
1/4 cup sour cream
1/2 tsp pepper
1. Preheat your oven to 350, and lightly grease a casserole dish or 9x13 pan. Peel and dice your russet potatoes. Either steam or boil them until they are just tender. Do the same with the sweet potatoes.
2. Meanwhile, melt the butter in a skillet over medium heat. Add the onions and sugar, and reduce the heat to medium-low. Saute, stirring frequently, until the onions are a deep brown color (10-15 minutes). If your pan is too hot, they'll burn quickly, so keep an eye on them.
3. Back to the potatoes. In a mixing bowl, mash the russet potatoes, and stir in 1Tbsp butter, 1/4 cup of the milk,1 tsp of the salt, and all of the sour cream and pepper. Set it aside. In a separate mixing bowl, mash the sweet potatoes, then stir in the remaining butter, milk, and salt. Now you're reading to assemble your potato bake.
4. Spread 1/2 of the mashed russet potatoes on the bottom of the casserole dish. Top the russet potatoes with 1/2 of the mashed sweet potatoes, then sprinkle half of the caramelized onions evenly over the top. Repeat layers to finish off the casserole. Cover it, and bake it for 25-30 minutes.
5. Dish some up for yourself before your husband eats the rest of it. Enjoy!