3/4 cup peanut butter
1/2 cup shortening
1-1/4 cups firmly packed brown sugar
3 Tbsp milk
1 Tbsp vanilla
1-3/4 cups flour
3/4 tsp salt
3/4 tsp baking soda
Vanilla ice cream (as much as you can pack in there!)
1. Preheat oven to 375 degrees F. Place sheets of aluminum foil on the counter top for cooling cookies. I had never heard of this method before, but it worked like a charm.
2. In a large mixing bowl, beat together peanut butter, shortening, brown sugar, milk, and vanilla until well blended. Add the egg and beat until just blended.
3. In a separate bowl, stir together flour, salt, and baking soda. Add the flour mixture to the peanut butter mixture and beat at low speed until just blended.
4. Drop spoonfuls 2 inches apart on an ungreased baking sheet. If you want your cookies to be perfect little cookie circles, just roll the dough into a ball before placing it on the cookie sheet. Flatten each cookie slightly with a fork in the traditional criss-cross pattern (my favorite part about peanut butter cookies).
5. Bake for 7-8 minutes or until the cookies are set and just barely beginning to brown. Cool two minutes on the baking sheet, then transfer the cookies to the aluminum foil sheets to finish cooling completely. Once they're completely cool, spread some vanilla ice cream on half of the cookies, then top them with the other cookies to make delicious little ice cream cookie sandwiches.
6. Partake. Are they irresistible? Oh yes, yes they are.