(from the Better Homes and Gardens New Cookbook--15th edition)
1-1/3 cups flour
2/3 cup sugar
2 tsp baking powder
2/3 cup milk
1/4 cup butter, softened
1 cup whipping cream
2 Tbsp sugar
1 tsp vanilla
1 cup strawberries
1 cup blueberries
1 cup raspberries or blackberries
1. Preheat your oven to 350 degrees F and lightly grease one 8-inch round cake pan.
2. In a mixing bowl, combine flour, sugar, and baking powder. Add milk, butter, egg, and vanilla, and beat on a low speed until they're combined. Beat for 1-2 more minutes on a medium speed, and spread the batter into your prepared cake pan.
3. Bake about 30 minutes or until a toothpick comes out clean. Cool in the pan on a wire rack about 30 minutes.
4. Meanwhile, whip up a batch of fresh whipped cream by combining the whipping cream, sugar, and vanilla and beating them on high until soft peaks form. Or, to simplify things, just grab a container of Cool Whip--because we all know that if you're going to use store-bought, Cool Whip is the only way to go.
5. You can serve the cake warm or wait for it to cool completely. Top it with whipped cream and berries. Go find yourself a rocking chair and a sunset.