July 5, 2011

Santa Fe Casserole

When I first started dating my husband, he decided to make me dinner one night.  He said he was making his favorite meal--Santa Fe Casserole.  I had no idea what to expect, but when I tasted the first bite I knew I was going to keep the recipe.  It's tasty, and I'm not sure if I've ever had another dish quite like it.  From our family cookbook, I give you Santa Fe Casserole.

Image Source
Santa Fe Casserole

1 lb ground turkey (or ground beef)
1 pkg taco seasoning (about 2.5 Tbsp)
2 cups chicken broth
1/4 cup flour
1 cup sour cream
2 cans (4 oz each) diced green chiles
11 oz tortilla chips
1-2 cups cheddar cheese, shredded (depending on how cheesy you want it)
1/2 cup green onions, sliced (I usually omit these, and it tastes just fine)

1. In a medium skillet, brown ground beef until crumbly.  Drain fat. Add the taco seasoning and blend well.
2. In a small bowl, mix together broth and flour (it will be less lumpy if you use cool broth, rather than warm), then add broth mixture to meat.  Bring to a boil to slightly thicken the liquid.  Stir in sour cream and green chiles until well blended and remove from heat.
3. Place ½ of the tortilla chips in a lightly greased 13x9 baking dish, then top the chips with ½ the meat mixture, ½ of the cheese, and ½ of the green onions.  Layer again with remaining ingredients.  Any chips that are left uncovered by the sauce or cheese will get crispier, so if you like it crispy, leave more chips exposed or vice versa.
4. Bake uncovered at 357 degrees for 20 minutes.  Let stand 5 minutes before serving.
5. Enjoy it now and again tomorrow, when it will taste even better. 

1 comment:

  1. Made this tonight--it was so easy and so yummy!! I think I used too many chips, though, so the sauce wasn't able to cover the whole casserole. I'm lame. But this will be added to my recipe archive, too. Great one!!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...